Monday, May 14, 2007

Home Cookin' @ Rosetta's Kitchen

Well, I ended up getting home really late last night because I went to visit my mom for Mother's Day and we all hang out at the lake all evening. You know how that goes. A little Jimmy Buffett music, a boat ride and some margaritas and you've lost track of what time it is. That, plus the fact that I had to run over to Asheville, NC today meant that I didn't have the time to pack the lunchbox last night. So instead, I just made a quick stop at Rosetta's Kitchen. You might remember that I ate there, for the first time, a few weeks ago on my way back home from Savannah, GA. The food that I got last time was very delicious, so I was more than anxious to stop there again today. And while I tried a dish last time that I had never had before (Peanut Butter Baked Tofu), this time I was in the mood for some vegan comfort food that I am more familiar with. And yes, that is a recycled picture of the street sign at Rosetta's Kitchen. I forgot to take another picture of the outside of the building today. Whoops!

I ended up getting a plate of good ol' country food. I've got a bowl of pinto beans and a plate full of some mashed potatoes with vegan brown gravy and some vegan macaroni & cheese. All served with a huge honkin' piece of vegan cornbread. Needless to say, it was delicious. And man, I wish this place was closer to where I live because it is so nice to be able to go into a restaurant and actually order vegan macaroni & cheese.

And while the macaroni & cheese was very good, it was quite different from my all time favorite mac-n-cheese recipe from the New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook, which I am CONVINCED is the best vegan macaroni & cheese recipe in the world. Everything was really good though, and it was quite nice letting someone else do the cooking for a change.

And speaking of changes, I guess it's time for another weight loss update. Just to recap, for anyone who might not have been reading the whole thing, a couple of months ago (I guess it's been about that long) I weighed myself and weighed the most I have ever weighed in my life, 225 lbs. I set out to try and eat healthier and exercise more with the intention of losing a total of 40 pounds and getting down to 185 lbs. Last week, I weighed in at 199 lbs. This weekend, I am happy to report, that I weighed in at 197 lbs. That means that I have lost 28 pounds so far. WOO-HOO! And you can actually tell too. I am starting to get more comments from people as the weight loss begins to show more in my face. My pants are a whole lot more loose too. In fact, it's all I can do to keep my favorite pair of shorts on right now because they keep wanting to fall down. Guess it might be time to maybe think about buying some new clothes huh?

So that means I've got 12 more pounds to go. That's really not that much, but I assume the last few pounds will probably be the hardest to lose. I'm really gonna' have to buckle down and quit eating like a maniac on the weekends. 197 really isn't that far away from 185, so hopefully that will help to keep me motivated.

The blood pressure machine at work is screwed up right now, so I can't give a really recent report on that. The last time I checked it, a couple of days ago, it was 105/69 which is AMAZING for me. I'm excited about the weight that I've lost and the significant changes in my blood pressure.

So there you have it, a slightly unexpected vegan lunch on the road. I'll be back at work with the lunchbox tomorrow.

See you then!

4 comments:

SallyT said...

Congratulations on sticking to your program and your great results. I have on order the pedometer you recommended. I think I'm a victim of fooling myself into thinking I'm doing more than I am.

kennyboy said...

I certainly was.

I thought for sure that I was getting in at least 10000 steps a day but I was not.

One cool thing about that pedometer is that you can wear it on your hip, around your neck or just carry it in your pocket.

It is also pretty smart and doesn't count movement unless you are actually walking. I think that might be where lesser pedometers made me think I was walking a lot more than I actually was.

;o)

Kayla said...

It's so encouraging to hear about your continued weight loss. In our day of thinking that eating=being fat, it is great to see that you can enjoy such wholesome, delicious meals that keep you full, and are still able to continue losing weight and reaching your goal. By the way, I hope we will be able to see a before and after picture one day!

kennyboy said...

Hmmmm...

I didn't take an actual before picture, mainly because I wouldn't want that recorded. My employee picture from work might suffice though. Granted, I'm wearing clothes, but my face is a whole lot fatter.

Once I get to 185 and am happy laying by the pool, I MIGHT work up the nerve to take a picture.

;o)